Let's make a delicious German Baumkuchen pie together. The name itself is translated as a tree-cake, and in the cookbook it is called the “king of cupcakes”. The pie on the cut really resembles the rings of a tree trunk. At home, dessert is considered a classic German pie for a Christmas holiday. Interestingly, before it was baked exclusively with a skewer, which was scrolled over a flame of fire: then it was poured with chocolate and served to guests. Thank God, modern technology has stepped forward, so I can share with you a simple recipe for German Baumkuchen pie, which you can cook in your kitchen.
- chicken eggs - 8 pieces;
- sugar - 210 grams;
- flour - 125 grams;
- corn starch - 125 grams;
- almond flour - 125 grams (for this recipe you can use regular);
- butter - 250 grams;
- pastry baking powder for dough - 11 grams;
- salt - one pinch;
- vanilla extract - a teaspoon;
- fruit jam - 150 grams (I use apricot, but you can choose another one);
- black and white chocolate - 70 grams each.
Delicious German Baumkuchen pie. Step by step recipe
- Separate the proteins from the yolks: put them in different containers. For proteins, you need to take a clean and dry bowl.
- Add salt to the protein mass and beat with a mixer until a thick white foam is formed.
- We start to add sugar in portions: at the same time, without stopping, we work with a mixer.
- Since the dough for the German pie is preparing very quickly, you must immediately turn on the oven and heat it to a temperature of 180 degrees.
- Beat the proteins until foamy air condition.
- In a new container, put butter at room temperature, then add sugar and vanilla extract. After this, beat until smooth, lush consistency.
- Then, in several approaches, add the yolks to the whipped oil, and beat each time.
- Pour almond flour (you can also ordinary). And mix gently with a spatula.
- Sift the flour through a strainer and starch into a container with a batch. After we mix everything with a spatula. The dough is very elastic and tender. Gradually interfere with whipped proteins.
- We cover the baking sheet with a size of 22 by 32 centimeters with parchment for baking. Lightly grease it with vegetable oil.
- We spread a little dough on a baking sheet, evenly distribute it over the entire area. We put in the preheated oven to the highest level, and bake the cake for about 6 minutes. By readiness we get it. We shift it to the edge and grease it with apricot jam: we do it quickly in order to have time to roll the roll.
- Next, a cardboard tube is useful to us: for example, you can get it from a roll of parchment or cling film (it is in the center of the bundle). Before you make a cake of German pie, wrap the tube with paper. When you get the baked layer and grease it with jam, carefully wrap the dough on it. (You can watch the video in more detail on how this is done) After the roll on a cardboard we put it on a plate.
- Again, grease the parchment with oil and pour the dough on the second cake. So, we will increase the volume of German Baumkuchen pie. Put the baking sheet in the oven, bake for 6 minutes, remove and grease with jam. Then we take our roll, join the seams with the second layer, and begin to wrap it, increasing the volume of the German tree pie. In the same way, we continue to cook cakes until the dough ends.
- When we wrap the last cake, we wrap our plain baumkuchen pie with paper and let it stand until it cools completely. (It’s ideal to create a suspended state for him: then he won’t remember sideways. For this, I put two bowls in such a way that the ends of the tube rest calmly on them, and the cake itself does not touch the table).
- After the cake has cooled, remove it. Now, carefully get out the tube. Crop the ugly edges, equalizing the picture.
- We will make two of it. We cut the roll in the middle, and put the cut on the table. We will make one German pie with dark chocolate, the other with white.
- We install one roll on the grate. First, melt the white chocolate in the microwave. Attention: every 20 seconds, chocolate must be removed and mixed: otherwise it will curl. So, take the melted chocolate mass and coat the sides. Everything runs off unnecessarily, and the icing hardens - then you can remove the cake from the grid.
- We make the German pie with dark chocolate and jam in the same way.
Well, our pies are ready, let's try them. Delicate cupcake dough with a light and fragrant layer of apricot jam - just melts in your mouth. A light note of almond flour is felt and all this is complemented with chocolate icing. Try more delicious and original desserts with “I Love Cooking”.