Unforgettable taste - donuts, as in childhood, sprinkled with powdered sugar. Soft, lush, melting in your mouth: eating them is a real pleasure. Now you can find many options for donuts (donuts, Berliners, with various glaze, and so on), but those relatives from Soviet times - it is still impossible to forget. That's why I want to share a recipe for classic yeast donuts - from Soviet childhood, on “I Love Cooking”. Moreover, they are absolutely easy to make at home.
- butter - 25 grams;
- flour - 500 grams;
- water - 300 grams;
- sugar - 50 grams;
- pressed yeast - 15 grams;
- egg - 1 piece;
- salt - 0.5-0.7 teaspoon;
- refined vegetable oil - 300-400 grams;
- powdered sugar - 2-3 tablespoons.
Real donuts from Soviet childhood. Step by step recipe
- To dilute yeast in 100 grams of warm water. For this recipe, this amount of pressed yeast can be replaced with 4-5 grams of dry.
- Add about 0.5 tablespoon of sugar and 2-3 tablespoons of sifted flour. The dough should look like a dough for fritters. If lumps will form in you - it's okay: they will disperse during fermentation. Cover with a towel and leave to stand in a warm place for 20-30 minutes. During this time, the yeast is activated, the dough will rise with a froth.
- Dissolve the remaining sugar and salt in the remaining water, pour the mixture into the dough, add a slightly beaten egg, stir until smooth.
- Add the remaining sifted flour in small portions and stir until smooth. You will get a soft, sticky dough (as in the video).
- Add a little warm melted butter and knead. In the present version of the recipe there is a vegetable oil, so you can safely use it, but I want to say that with butter it turns out much tastier.
- We spread the yeast dough on a dry work surface without flour and knead it for about 5-7 minutes without adding flour. Personally, I interfere with the dough in a bowl, knocking my hand from underneath and pulling it up. And you can do as you please.
- When the dough starts to lag behind hands, it needs to be rounded, put in a bowl greased with vegetable oil (it will be more convenient for you to round if you moisten clean, dry hands with vegetable oil before that).
- We cover the dough with a linen towel or film and send it to a warm place to approach for 60-90 minutes. During this time, the dough will increase by 2 times.
- If time permits you, then you need to knead the approached dough and leave to approach again, covering with a film. If there is no time, then you can start cooking after a one-time lift (without breaking in this case).
- We lubricate the working surface with sunflower oil, shift the dough onto it, separating small blanks for donuts. To do this, moisten your hands with sunflower oil and tear off approximately the same pieces of dough, the size of a nut or small egg, carefully giving them a ball shape. At the same time, try not to wrinkle the dough especially, leaving the gas accumulated during fermentation.
- We spread the balls on the table, leaving a distance of 3-4 centimeters between them, lightly grease the film with vegetable oil, cover the balls with it. Leave for 20-25 minutes to fit.
- After a while, we make a hole in each ball with our fingers (we must lubricate the hands with vegetable oil before this). The hole is needed so that the donuts are well-fried. I recommend first making holes in all the blanks, and only then proceed to frying
- Heat a sufficient amount of vegetable oil in a pan, approximately 2 to 2.5 centimeters thick. Throw donuts into already heated butter.
- Fry donuts until golden on each side. Check the oil level in the pan, top up if necessary.
- Put the fried donuts first on a paper towel that absorbs excess fat. After we transfer to a plate and sprinkle with powdered sugar.
Yeast donuts ready! They turned out soft, airy, such as we remember from childhood. A true classic is not forgotten even after a year! Of course, you won’t cook them every day, as they are high-calorie enough, but sometimes you can arrange a tasty holiday for yourself and your loved ones. Be with us on “I love to cook” - we still have many step by step recipes for delicious dishes that will be appreciated by your family and friends. And be sure to try condensed milk donuts and curd donuts.
Enjoy your meal!