The fact that invert syrup can be prepared at home, I learned just yesterday. My son came to visit, and although he is already an adult, he loves sweets very much: not ordinary candies, but various foreign novelties. Asked to make marshmallows. I remembered that I saw the recipe for their preparation on the site "I like to cook." But it turned out that I did not have the most important ingredient - invert syrup. I did not find it in our stores either. Thanks to the YouTube channel video - such a recipe was found, and it turned out that even a child can prepare an invert syrup at home. Moreover, it is very useful: replaces molasses, glucose, corn syrup, artificial honey.
- 350 grams of sugar;
- 155 milliliters of water;
- 2 grams (0.5 teaspoon) of citric acid;
- 1.5 grams of soda (slightly less than half a teaspoon).
Invert syrup at home. Step by step recipe
- Pour water into a saucepan (stew-pan) with a thick bottom, pour sugar, put on medium heat and stir until sugar is completely dissolved.
- Bring to a boil, add citric acid (everything foams a little), reduce the heat to a minimum, cover and leave the syrup to cook.
- Cooking time depends on the strength of the fire, each individually. Therefore, in order not to digest the syrup, it is better to use a thermometer. When the temperature of the syrup reaches 109-110 degrees - it is ready.
- There is another way to check the syrup is ready: about 20-30 minutes after boiling, when the syrup has already turned golden, pour a tablespoon on a plate and quickly cool (blow it), then place between two fingers, squeeze, and then spread your fingers - the syrup should stretch in the form of a thick thread.
- Allow the syrup to cool slightly (to 105-107 degrees) and add soda diluted with a small amount of warm water to it. The syrup should actively froth. Mix well and wait for the neutralization process to finish: the foam should completely settle (somewhere in 10-15 minutes).
- If the foam does not settle and the syrup becomes cloudy, add 1 tablespoon of water to it and put it on fire again. Until it becomes transparent.
- Ready syrup, properly cooked, should look like fresh liquid honey - both in consistency and color (yellow-golden). If you digested a little and it became a caramel color - it's okay, all the properties were preserved.
- Cool and pour into a jar, put in the refrigerator, where it can be stored for 2-3 months.
Invert syrup is very quickly prepared at home, does not require the purchase of any special products - any housewife has everything that is needed. But it is indispensable in the kitchen: it is one of the ingredients for many dishes. It is part of German honey gingerbread, chewing marshmallows (marshmallows) and many others. You can see the recipes for these desserts on the site “I like to cook.”