This year on Easter I plan to cook Italian panettone cake. It is very similar to the Easter baking we are used to. But it still has some differences. This recipe for Easter cake in the oven I got from a friend who has lived in Italy for many years, but does not forget about our culinary traditions.
- dry yeast - 15 grams;
- milk - 150 milliliters;
- wheat flour - 650 grams;
- butter - 170 grams;
- chicken eggs - 5 pieces;
- yolks - 3 pieces;
- sugar - 5-7 tablespoons;
- salt - a pinch;
- vanillin - to taste;
- raisins - 50 grams;
- dried apricots - 50 grams;
- candied fruits - 50 grams;
- nuts - 50 grams.
Italian Easter cake Panettone. Step by step recipe
- Half dry yeast: namely, 7-8 grams - diluted in warm water, mix.
- Add 80 grams of flour to the yeast, mix again, cover with cling film and wait for the dough to fit and triple.
- Separately, heat the milk to 35-40 degrees and stir the remaining yeast in it. Leave for 15 minutes to let the yeast play a little.
- Butter is heated to room temperature. Add flour here.
- We rub everything with our hands. It turns out wet flour crumbs.
- In a separate container, add the yolks, vanilla, salt and sugar to the chicken eggs. Mix everything with a whisk or mixer.
- In the egg mixture, add milk with yeast and dough, which has risen. All mix thoroughly.
- Then gradually pour out the crumbs of flour. Add candied fruits, nuts, raisins, dried apricots.
Tip. Raisins and dried apricots must first be poured with boiling water, steamed well, and then dried. Dried apricots need to be crushed to the size of raisins. We use any nuts: walnuts, almonds, cashews, hazelnuts. But also grind a little with a rolling pin or knife.
- Add the zest of orange and lemon to the dough. Knead everything thoroughly (approximately 10-15 minutes: the dough should be soft and stick to your hands).
- We cover the pan with cling film, and allow the dough to come up in a warm place, without drafts. Leave it for 1-2 hours.
- When the dough has increased in volume, it needs to be mixed again. For this, grease hands with oil and knead the dough well (about 15 minutes).
- The dough should be airy, soft, elastic. The mixed dough should not stick to your hands.
- A baking dish for Easter cakes or just small deep pots, grease with vegetable oil or margarine: you can sprinkle a little semolina on top of the oil. To make the ready-made Easter cake easily come out.
Tip. Now ready-made paper molds for Easter cakes are sold, you can use them. And you can metal forms.
- Fill the form with a dough of approximately one third. Because the dough will increase in size.
- We put in a warm place. Let the test brew for about one hour.
- The first 10 minutes we bake the panettone at a temperature of 200 degrees, then you need to reduce the temperature to 180 degrees and hold for about 30-40 minutes. The baking time of Easter cakes depends on their size.
- The Italians before baking cut the panettone cross on the cross and put a piece of butter there. We just grease the surface with yolk.
Tip. If during baking the top of the Easter cake begins to burn, it must be covered with a clean sheet of white paper, previously moistened in water. Repeat this procedure several times if necessary.
- We take out the finished baked rosy panettone from the oven and allow it to cool completely and settle. I do not recommend cutting hot cakes, as the dough will become sticky and lose its airiness.
Ruddy, beautiful homemade cakes from the oven - ready! Panettone is a dish that has an Italian flavor. On our site “I love to cook” you can find many variations of various recipes on the theme of Easter cakes.