More recently, I discovered a new dessert: kraffin - a beautiful pastry with a delicate taste and a variety of fillings: chocolate, fruit, vanilla, mint and others. This pastry was recently introduced to the whole world by a twenty-eight-year-old pastry chef from San Francisco. His dessert immediately became a "culinary hit." Outwardly, kraffin resembles a hybrid of a croissant and muffin, twisted and baked in muffin molds. It is so simple to cook and looks so original and in a special way that you will love it immediately, as soon as you cook with us.
- wheat flour - 400 grams;
- milk - 150 milliliters;
- sugar sand - 70 grams;
- egg - 1 piece;
- vegetable oil - 20 grams;
- butter - 100-150 grams;
- water - 30 milliliters;
- dry yeast - 6 grams;
- salt - 0.5 teaspoon;
- icing sugar - for decoration.
Kraffin is a beautiful pastry. Step by step recipe
- To begin with, we sift the flour into a separate bowl. Fill the yeast with warm water and leave for a few minutes so that they completely dissolve.
- We will prepare another deep bowl in which we will knead the dough. Pour warm milk into it, pour out all the sugar, salt and the egg (first beat the egg with a fork in a separate plate);
Vegetable oil can be poured with the egg, or added at the end of the batch. This time I will add it at the end of the batch.
- Add prepared yeast to our ingredients.
- It's time to gradually introduce the flour. We introduce it with a tablespoon, and with a spatula we mix the yeast dough for kraffins in a bowl: until it can be transferred to the working surface.
- When we see that the dough is already holding on to the scapula and is well behind the walls of the bowl, we transfer it. Continue to knead and add the remaining flour. Now that all the flour has been added and our dough is not dense and not soft, but rather average, we add a little oil and continue to knead until all the butter is used.
You can knead the dough using a food processor, a bread machine or a dough mixer - if you have such a technique. Then you put all the ingredients in the same sequence as with manual work. Flour should be on top (or last)
The dough should turn out smooth, uniform, resilient, elastic and easily fall behind the working surface and hands. You can check how well the dough has been kneaded: cut it with a knife and you will see that it is homogeneous at the cut and does not reach for the knife.
- Round the dough. We grease the bowl with vegetable oil and put the dough in it. We cover the bowl with cling film, make a couple of punctures with a knife. We put in a warm place for 1-1.5 hours.
- Time will fly by very quickly. The dough came up. We take a muffin mold in which we will bake, grease with butter, sprinkle with flour a little, shake off excess flour.
- Getting to the test. We spread the dough on a work surface, crush it and divide it into 6 parts. If you have a kitchen scale, weigh the whole dough and divide it into 6 equal pieces. If this is not possible, divide by eye. We round each piece of dough, cover everything with cling film so that it does not dry out.
- We begin to roll out the dough. Here you use a rolling pin or, if you have, a noodle machine. I use a rolling pin. Directions of rolling do not change, we move in one direction: forward, backward. When we rolled it as long as possible (I got 60 centimeters), we take it and carefully roll it with a rolling pin in width (up to about 18 centimeters). The result was a long "tongue."
- We take our soft butter (just do not heat it in the microwave, the butter should reach a soft state on its own) and use our culinary brush to oil our dough. The oil layer should not be too thick and, at the same time, should not be applied too thinly.
- Now we begin to roll our dough into a roll. When folding, you do not need to press it tightly, you need to fold it freely, and slightly stretch it to the sides so that the roll turns out to be evenly wrapped.
- With a sharp knife we cut the roll along half. After that, we turn the “muffin” out of each half: we strive for the layers of dough to be on top. Then, when baking, they open beautifully. Put in the form. If you will roll out quickly, then the form can be left on the desktop, if the rolling will take a long time, then it is better to cover the form and put it in the refrigerator. So that there is no big difference in the proofing of kraffins.
There is one secret to our beautiful pastries: the way to fold and dough. The most important thing is to start cutting with the tip of the knife, and gradually deepen, move to the entire blade of the knife. Then you keep puffiness and your pastries from puff pastry will be perfect.
- After we put the last kraffin into the mold, we cover it and leave it on the working surface for about 1-1.5 hours: the kraffins should grow in volume by about two times.
- We bake kraffins in a preheated oven to 200-210 * C: until brown - usually it takes 20 minutes.
Carefully remove the kraffins from the molds and sprinkle with powdered sugar. According to this recipe, exactly 12 kraffins are obtained.
Freshly baked kraffins are wonderful to serve for Sunday breakfast, with a cup of invigorating coffee or aromatic tea - and enjoy this delicate taste of pastry. "I love to cook" wishes you bon appetit!