Homemade marshmallows marshmallows are a favorite treat of many children, including mine. It is gentle, soft, airy - it just melts in your mouth. Homemade marshmallows can be thrown into morning coffee, roasted on a fire during a picnic - and it is simply indispensable for making mastic (it is used as decoration for cakes).
- water - 200 milliliters;
- gelatin in granules or powder - 25 grams;
- icing sugar - 0.5 cups;
- sugar - 400 grams;
- starch - 0.5 cups;
For invert syrup:
- sugar - 350 grams;
- hot water - 155 milliliters;
- citric acid - 0.75 teaspoon;
- baking soda - 0.25 teaspoon.
Marshmallow Marshmallows. Step by step recipe
- To make marshmallows, we need an invert syrup. We will cook it ourselves. To do this, pour hot water into a small pan, add sugar and citric acid.
- We put the mixture on a stove with moderate fire and stirring, wait until the sugar has completely dissolved. Stir so that the sugar does not stick to the walls of the pan.
- When the sugar mixture begins to boil, cover it with a lid and continue to boil over low heat until a light golden color.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and leave to cool slightly.
- Mix soda with a spoonful of cold water and pour into sugar syrup. A reaction occurs in the pan: the soda begins to be quenched with citric acid, which is contained in sugar syrup - and a large amount of foam is formed. When the reaction stops, this is a signal that the syrup is ready. It should look like liquid honey: light yellow, viscous, but odorless.
- Gelatin in powder or granules should be poured with 100 milliliters of cold water, and wait until it swells.
- Heat the gelatin over low heat, continuously mixing.
- Tip. In no case should gelatin be brought to a boil: otherwise it will lose its qualities.
- Melted gelatin should be poured into a large bowl.
- Separately, mix 100 milliliters of water (which remains) with 400 grams of granulated sugar and add 160 milliliters of invert syrup. That is how much it should be after cooking.
- We put the sweet mixture on a small fire and "bring" to a temperature of 110 degrees.
- As soon as the syrup is brought to the desired temperature, immediately with a mixer, at low speeds, beat the gelatin, and slowly, with a thin stream, pour the sugar syrup into the gelatin. We continue the procedure of whipping the mixture, gradually increasing the speed of revolutions. Just at this time a white, fluffy and elastic foam will form, which will increase in volume.
- It is at this moment that you can add colors and flavors: in order to give a taste to our homemade marshmallow.
- When a well-whipped marshmallow becomes elastic and thick, even “rubber” is a sign that our marshmallows are ready.
- In a spacious wide container covered with parchment and abundantly sprinkled with powdered sugar mixed with starch, we pour the marshmallows, which we prepared ourselves at home. We level the surface and send our marshmallows to the cold for several hours.
- When the mass is thickened, sprinkle it again with powdered sugar and starch.
- We cut the layer into small squares, run them in powder, and you can treat the guests.
- Tip. If you have marshmallows left, you can put it in a container that closes tightly and store it in a dry place.
A big plus is the preparation of such a home-made delicacy - it does not need to be kept for a long time to freeze: in just a few hours you can eat home-made marshmallows. With our site "I love to cook" you will learn many more interesting recipes that you can surprise your family and friends.