When my mother bakes these butter buns with custard, all the neighbors come to smell. Such a scent that drives you crazy! And the taste is simply mesmerizing! So you bite off a piece and understand: “let the whole world wait ...” You haven’t eaten such buns yet: the dough is like cotton wool, and inside there is a tender, sweet custard - and all this is diluted with crispy coconut crumbs, which are browned in the oven. Let's plunge into the world of magical pleasure and make the most delicious rich buns with custard: according to my mother’s recipe.
- flour - 250 grams;
- pressed yeast - 10 grams (replacing dry yeast - 4 grams);
- sugar - 1 teaspoon;
- milk - 80 milliliters;
- water - 50 milliliters;
- oil - 40 grams;
- eggs - 1 piece;
- salt is a pinch.
- sugar - 50 grams;
- egg - 1 piece;
- oil - 10 grams;
- corn starch - 20 grams;
- milk - 160 milliliters;
- salt - a pinch (optional);
- vanilla sugar - 1 sachet (10 grams).
For coconut crumbs:
- sugar - 20 grams;
- flour - 20 grams;
- coconut flakes - 7 grams;
- oil - 15 grams.
The most delicious custard buns. Step by step recipe
- We combine water with milk and heat to 30-35 degrees.
- In a separate bowl, combine the yeast and sugar, stir well. You will immediately notice how pressed yeast begins to melt before our eyes - this is how it should be.
- Pour the milk mixture into a yeast in a thin stream, stir until completely dissolved and leave for 5-7 minutes.
- Beat 1 egg in a separate bowl.
- In a bowl for kneading dough, put soft butter, salt, add 1 teaspoon of beaten egg (the rest we will use to grease the buns).
- Sift the flour and add half of the total mass to the oil, rub everything well with a spoon. Pour in the milk mixture with yeast and mix. After that we continue to pour out the rest of the flour in several stages and knead the elastic, soft, very pleasant to the touch dough. Since the flour is different for everyone, in reality it may need a little more or less.
- We form a ball from the dough, transfer to a clean, dry bowl, cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place for 2-2.5 hours. During this time, it is necessary to knead it several times (by the time, be guided - every 30-40 minutes).
- To make a custard, beat the egg slightly with a whisk, add sugar and optionally salt (to emphasize the sweetness of the cream). Also add vanilla sugar and starch. Mix everything until smooth. If you do not have corn starch, then you can replace it with potato.
- Bring the milk to a boil over low heat (you will notice how steam begins to appear above it). For 1 tablespoon, add this warmed milk to the egg mixture, stir quickly and well. So add 4-6 such servings. After that, this egg mixture can be combined with the remaining milk, put on the stove and cook until thickened (approximately 5-7 minutes). Be sure to stir constantly so as not to burn. My mother is an ass in the preparation of custard: she immediately pours the egg mixture into boiling milk, stirs - and she does it without lumps. Therefore, you can also do, but if you are a beginner, then use the method that I described.
- Remove the cream from the stove, beat with a mixer for about half a minute until a smooth, uniform consistency.
- Add the butter and mix. Cover with cling film and leave to cool completely. It is important that the food wrap is in contact with the surface of the cream: otherwise, when cooling, a dried crust will appear.
- To decorate the top of buns, we’ll prepare an original coconut crumb (shtreisel): add sugar, coconut flakes and sifted flour to the soft butter, knead everything. By consistency, it will resemble shortbread dough. We wrap it in cling film and put it in the freezer (for at least 1 hour).
- We crush the finished dough that has come up again, divide it into 10 identical parts, and roll them into balls. Cover with cling film and leave for 10 minutes.
- We roll each ball in the form of a tongue, 0.3-0.5 centimeters thick. On one side, we spread the filling along and turn the tongue into a tube.
- We spread the tubes in a form covered with parchment paper, with the seam down. In the places where the buns are in contact, we coat with vegetable oil so that they do not stick together during baking.
- We cover the form with buns with cling film and still leave to approach for 30-40 minutes.
- Meanwhile, we take out the dough on the shtrezel from the freezer, rub it on a fine grater. For such a number of buns, only half of the harvested will be enough. Wrap the rest with foil and leave until next time.
- Before baking, grease the buns with the remaining beaten egg and sprinkle with grated coconut crumbs. We send in the oven preheated to 190-200 degrees for 30-35 minutes.
We divide ready-made, slightly cooled pastry buns with custard and serve. When you try them, you understand: although the time to prepare them is quite expensive, but they are worth it! But in general, the recipe is very simple: and even a beginner will definitely cope with it. Believe me, such a dessert will alleviate all family stress: even if you beloved, before that, served salted soup!
Have a delicious tea party with “I love to cook”!