I have a friend who, after every trip to Turkey, boasts that she once again tasted their famous Turkish bagels. Since I like to cook and learn about new recipes, I asked her to find out more about these legendary sims and then share the recipe with me. The acquaintance coped with her “excellent” task and after the next trip brought a recipe for those bagels that I will share with you right now. From the ingredients below you will get 4 rosy bagels that will literally melt in your mouth!
- flour - 250 grams;
- sugar - 1 tablespoon;
- sesame seeds - 1 glass;
- olive or sunflower oil - 3 tablespoons;
- warm water - 120 grams;
- salt - half a teaspoon;
- dry yeast - 1 tablespoon;
Turkish Bagels (Simit). Step by step recipe
- Sift 180 grams of flour into a bowl.
- Add all the dry ingredients and mix.
- Gradually add lukewarm water and kneading a dough of medium consistency - it should not be sticky.
If you want, you can add a little more flour.
- Pour in small portions of sunflower or olive oil into the dough, and also drive in the flour until our dough becomes thick and dense.
Yes, you can use both sunflower and olive oil. Nothing terrible will happen - and everything will also be delicious.
- Roll the dough into a lump, put back in a bowl, cover with a towel and leave it warm for about 30 minutes.
- While the dough is “resting” we fry sesame seeds in a dry and clean frying pan.
I draw your attention to: make sure that sesame seeds are not burnt, because then it will be bitter and the taste of Turkish bagels will be spoiled.
- We take out our dough and divide it into four equal parts.
In this case, we will get four large bagels. But if you want, you can divide them into more parts if you wish - then there will be many bagels, but they will be smaller in volume.
- We roll each piece of dough into a strong ball, then roll it out a bit and make a small “sausage”.
- Put the “sausages” in a bowl, cover with a damp towel and leave for literally 15 minutes.
- After the dough, grease with oil, wait for it to soak, cover and leave again for about 15 minutes.
- Alternately, “sausages” are rolled out into a tourniquet about 100 centimeters long.
- If you feel that the dough is rolling badly, you can always leave it to lie down for several minutes and continue to work again. The harness should be smooth and uniform in thickness.
- The resulting tourniquet is folded in half, twisted, and the ends are fixed.
- Simites dipped in cold water.
You can also dip in molasses. If there is no molasses, then it can be replaced with water and honey. If you replace the water with molasses, in this case there is practically no need to put sugar in the dough: a pinch will be enough.
- Now we roll the Turkish bagels in sesame so that the sesame seeds cover the entire surface of the dough.
- We cover the baking sheet with baking paper and spread our sims.
Since bagels in the oven grow, they must be placed at a great distance from each other.
- We put the baking sheet for 20 minutes in the oven preheated to 30-35 degrees.
- We take out the baking sheet from the oven and at room temperature leave it to rest for about 20 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 250 degrees and bake sims for 9-10 minutes until golden brown.
Turkish bagels are ready! Although the recipe is rather complicated and long, it’s worth it! Cooked Turkish sims are incredibly tasty, with a golden brown and an incredible smell! Your bagels do not have time to cool, as you immediately want to eat them, washed down with aromatic tea. Enjoy your meal!