California rolls, popular around the world, have their own story, I want to tell how this recipe was born. In 1973, in California, a Japanese restaurant employee seriously thought about the reasons for low sales and realized that the tastes of Europeans are different from the tastes of Asians. Approaching this issue with all seriousness, he developed a recipe for roll inside out, people reached out in droves, tasting all the delights of a new dish. Tuna fillet was replaced with avocado, and replacing crab meat with fish fingers became a taboo - that was what Europeans needed to bypass the McDonald's and look into a Japanese restaurant. That's the story with California rolls. It’s easy to cook California rolls at home with Love Cooking!
- round-grain rice - 350 grams;
- water - 360 milliliters;
- seasoning for sushi - 100 milliliters;
- Nori seaweed;
- tobiko caviar;
- crab meat;
- rice vinegar - 2 tablespoons;
- stevia - 1 teaspoon;
- sea salt - 2 teaspoons;
California rolls: recipe history and cooking secrets
- Rinse the rice thoroughly in cold water, you can leave it under a small stream of running water, then it rinses faster. Water should remain clear. Discard the washed rice on a sieve and leave for an hour.
- We put the rice in a pan and fill it with cold water so that 1/5 of the rice is covered. We cover the pan with a lid and cook the rice over low heat.
- Bringing the rice to a boil, boil another 5 minutes, then reduce the heat to a minimum and simmer another 15 minutes.
- Set aside the rice and let it brew for 10 minutes.
- Combine rice vinegar, stevia and salt until the salt and stevia dissolve. Pour the resulting marinade over rice and stir gently, as if turning the mixture over.
- Let the rice cool a little, just a little, sushi is made from warm rice.
- We prepare the mat for sushi, wrapping it with cling film.
- Peel and chop the avocado and crab meat.
- We cut the Nori sheet in half and lay it on the mat with the smooth side down. We spread rice on a noriya sheet with a thin layer and make the offset of the mat about 1 cm from ourselves.
- Turn the mat over so that the rice is at the bottom and Nori is on top.
- In the middle of Nori lay out the filling. Twist the roll tightly, raising the edge of the mat and holding the filling. We press the rolled-up mat slightly and roll it to give the roll a shape.
- The resulting sausage is cut into several parts and served.
This recipe is noteworthy in that it gives some freedom in the choice of ingredients. Avocados can be replaced or supplemented with cucumbers, add something from yourself besides crab meat and avocados. Some advise replacing crab meat with crab sticks, but this is absolutely not the case, because crab sticks are mainly made from fish, have a pungent smell and can easily ruin this dish. But seaweed to supplement these rolls is perfectly acceptable - both tasty and healthy. Cook California rolls at home with “I Love Cooking”, and be sure to try complementing the set with tempered rolls and Philadelphia! Enjoy your meal.