Would you like to try a delicious pickled cabbage of a luxurious reddish hue? The appetizer will wonderfully complement the assortment of pickles, make it much brighter and more appetizing. You will certainly be impressed by its charming taste range! Instant pickled cabbage can be made in various colors. I often cook yellow and purple vegetables: however, I do not use purchased food colors.
- white cabbage (winter varieties) - 2 kilograms;
- beets - 250 grams;
- water (normal) - 1 liter;
- sugar - 1 cup or 200 grams;
- salt (only large) - 1 tablespoon;
- vinegar (9%) - 200 grams;
- Sunflower oil - 0.5 cups or 110 grams.
Delicious pickled cabbage. Step by step recipe
Having made a multi-colored snack, you can easily create colorful children's dishes to easily put the kids at the dinner table. I’ll tell you about all the culinary secrets on the I Love Cooking portal: at the end of this step-by-step recipe. So, let's start pickling.
- First of all, rinse white cabbage, cut into pieces (squares). How to do this more carefully? Vegetable should be divided in half. Remove the stump, put the cut on the board, cut first into wide strips, and then each individually into squares. Thus, you will get beautiful pieces of the same shape.
- Wash raw beets, peel, grate. There should be no white veins inside the vegetable: otherwise a very delicious pickled cabbage will come out an ugly pale hue.
- Take a wide and tall pan, preferably made of stainless steel: the oxidative processes that occur in aluminum containers must be prevented. Check the cabbage pieces together with the prepared beets in layers. It makes no difference which product you complete the process with: white or red vegetables. Tamp a little.
- When the pan is full, you can start cooking marinade for pickled cabbage, the recipe of which is simple and quick to prepare.
- Pour a liter of water into the container, add sugar and salt, pour vinegar and sunflower oil.
- Bring the marinade to a boil, in the first minutes it is advisable to stir so that the loose components dissolve safely. It should not be kept on the burner for a long time, otherwise more liquid will evaporate than necessary, and the marinade will come out too concentrated.
- You will appreciate the recipe for pickled cabbage: after all, there is nothing left to do - pour the hot marinade into the components.
- Be sure to place the load: put a small plate and a three-liter jar of water. Leave in the kitchen, away from sunlight, in a darker place. If the liquid does not completely cover the ingredients, do not worry. After a few hours, the vegetables will start juice, and the amount of marinade will increase markedly.
- Pickled cabbage quickly cooks: 1-3 days is enough (depending on the surrounding temperature). The colder the room, the more time is needed for the ripening snack.
- Finding out the willingness of goodies is simple: try the white one. If it softens, but slightly crunches, it is saturated with marinade and beetroot juice: it means that you can serve it on the table.
- You can cook such pickled cabbage for the winter: after the appetizer reaches readiness, you need to shift it into jars and put it in the refrigerator or cellar.
Advice to the thrifty hostesses: in order to preserve the "dumpling", that's what the people call this snack, first you need to sterilize the banks. Place chopped cabbage in glass containers, pour boiling water, cover, leave to cool. Pour the liquid into the saucepan, season with spices, boil again, fill the jars with vegetables and roll up. Then proceed as with the usual conservation: wrap in a warm blanket, and after a couple of days move to the pantry. It is advisable to add beets already cooked. I threw it into a boiling marinade, expected the appearance of the first bulbs and poured food. Such pickled cabbage in a jar will be a godsend in the winter!
It is time to reveal some of the nuances of making an original and colorful snack:
- Cabbage should be quite dense, but not "wooden" or with very thick leaves (such a vegetable is best used for stewing). For pickling, winter varieties, which are usually taken for the preparation of cabbage rolls, are perfect. Important: you should not cook "dumplings" from young cabbage, as it will turn into porridge.
- How to pickle a different color cabbage? Turmeric can be added to the marinade, then the snack will turn yellow. Throwing red-headed, you can get a purple or purple color.
- To make red vegetable checkers attractive, it is better not to cook them at the end of winter: at this time it is not easy to find tasty and juicy beets of saturated red color.
- If you forgot to put the beetroot, you can add it to the half-frozen “dumplings” with marinade. However, the vegetable must be boiled and grated with small teeth.
- Pickled cabbage can be supplemented with various spices. It is worth putting fennel seeds, coriander, caraway seeds in marinade: only in small quantities. The appetizer will acquire a charming spicy notes, an amazing finish. Berries of barberry or cranberry will not be superfluous. White-headed vegetable goes well with lemon, nutmeg, marjoram, garlic and even curry.
- Instead of the usual vinegar, you can put apple or grape: however, this option is for everybody.
- The recipe for delicious pickled cabbage can be supplemented with chili peppers to give the appetizer a piquant spiciness.
- If the sugar was not too sweet, and the red checkers seemed sour, you can add a pinch of powdered sugar to the snack and mix thoroughly.
- Marinade with red root vegetables can be used for pickling cauliflower, which looks delicious among other pickles.
A step-by-step recipe for delicious pickled cabbage is prepared too quickly for new useful substances inherent in pickled vegetables to appear in the product. However, most of the vitamins are preserved, and spices and spices will increase the healing properties of the dish. Other recipes for delicious pickled vegetables are waiting for you on the “I Love Cooking” website.