Today I will tell you a classic recipe for herring mincemeat. The dish is rooted in Prussian cuisine and translated from German as an appetizer. In Germany, herring is cooked hot. Today, this dish belongs to the Jewish cuisine, to the group of cold appetizers. Many people think that only a true Jewess can cook a real mincemeat: but today I will tell you how to make a snack with herring, no worse than Aunt Tsilya cooks.
- 2 salted herring;
- two green apples;
- 3 chicken eggs;
- 1 potato
- 2 onion heads;
- mayonnaise (you can without it).
Forshmak from herring. Step by step recipe
The recipe for herring mincemeat is quite simple, so you can cook it quickly and without any special culinary skills. So, following this instruction, you will prepare the perfect Jewish herring dish.
- Take the onion, peel it and cut into small cubes.
- We put the pan on low heat, add butter and wait until it boils. After pouring the chopped onion and fry it until golden brown. So that the butter does not burn, I add 1 tablespoon of vegetable. Do not dry the onion: it should be soft.
- We begin to carve our Jewish herring. First, you should eliminate all the fins, then make an incision from the head to the tail along the ridge. Remove the skin carefully. It is better to choose a salted herring for a classic foreshmak. Cut off the head and remove all the bones.
- Then there are two options, so I will tell you about each Jewish foreshack separately.
Recipe number 1. Herring salad
One of the popular options for making mincemeat is salad. In Jewish cuisine, such a treat can be seen at any family holiday.
- Peel the boiled potatoes. We rub it on a large grater.
- Take the apple, peel it from the peel and core, pass through a coarse grater.
- We take 1.5 boiled eggs and rub after the potatoes and apples.
- Pour the grated products into a large salad bowl.
- We take a lemon and squeeze the juice out of it. Add about one spoon to our mixture. By the way, you can replace it with apple cider vinegar. This option is best suited if you need to store a tasty snack on the festive table for several days.
- Now we proceed to cutting herring. Cut the fillets in longitudinal strips, and then chop into small cubes.
- Take half the fried onions and add to the salad. Mix everything and put on a plate.
Recipe number 2. Appetizer with herring and brown bread
The second option is even easier to prepare.
- Take a meat grinder with medium crushing.
- Next, peeled apple, egg and herring are passed through a meat grinder.
- In the resulting mince, add a little salt, lemon juice and the rest of the fried onions. We mix everything.
- Take pieces of brown bread and fry them lightly in a pan with vegetable oil.
- On the obtained croutons, we impose the resulting mixture.
To give beauty to our snacks, you can decorate them with greens! Your herring with potatoes and onions will not leave your guests indifferent! On our site “I love to cook,” you can see other recipes for delicious quick dishes from herring (and not only).