In search of cooking something tasty out of nothing, I came across an old recipe for fried pies and potatoes. My grandmother often cooked them for me as a child. I recall: there was nothing tastier than these soft, fragrant potato cakes. All my friends celebrated when she cooked them. We scattered them in two counts. And now, remembering my favorite taste, reading the recipe, I realized: I have all the ingredients at home. This is generally a very budget dish. In addition, there are a lot of delicious pies with potatoes - enough for a large family or friendly company (especially if they are children).
- flour - 500 grams;
- dry yeast - 1 teaspoon (5 grams);
- sugar - 1 tablespoon;
- salt - 0.25 teaspoon;
- potato broth - 350 milliliters;
- vegetable oil - 3 tablespoons;
- vegetable oil for frying.
- medium-sized onions - 4 pieces;
- peeled potatoes - 800-1000 grams;
- salt - 0.5 teaspoon (to taste);
- butter - 50-80 grams.
Delicious fried pies with potatoes. Step by step recipe
- To prepare the filling: cut peeled potatoes into small parts, fill with water so that it only covers the potatoes, add salt (about 0.5 teaspoon, but focus on your taste), cover and boil over medium heat until cooked. We check the readiness with a skewer or the back of the match: it will easily go into boiled potatoes.
- Pour the water into a separate bowl: we will use it to knead the dough. We need 350 milliliters of decoction. If you get it less than this volume, then add plain boiled water.
- Add the butter (50 grams) to the potato and mash the crush until smooth. Try not to get lumps. To do this, be sure to crush potatoes when it is still hot.
- Finely chop the onion and fry in vegetable oil until golden brown. If desired, to obtain a more delicate creamy taste, you can add about 30 grams of butter.
- Add onions to the potatoes, stir well, taste and, if necessary, add salt. If your children or you do not like the appearance of fried onions in dishes, then before combining with potatoes, you can beat it with a blender until smooth. Or replace it with finely chopped dill. Only in this case, add 2-3 tablespoons of vegetable oil to the potatoes to make the mass more tender.
- Step-by-step preparation of the test: if you use dry instant (quick-acting) yeast, then in a deep bowl we mix the sifted flour, sugar, yeast, salt (if the broth is lightly salted) and mix. After pouring a warm potato broth, 3 tablespoons of vegetable oil and knead the dough. Since high-speed dry yeast (looking like small cylinders) does not require additional activation, they can be immediately added to the dry ingredients.
- If you use dry active yeast (granular), you must first activate them: for this we combine a warm decoction of potatoes, yeast, sugar, stir and leave for 5-10 minutes (you will notice how they quickly start to foam). After we add, according to the recipe, sifted flour with salt, pour in vegetable oil and mix.
- You can knead the dough in any way convenient for you: on the desktop using French technology (we pick up the dough (about half), pull it out, fold it in half, turn it over and pick it up again, pull it out and so on). In the bowl: knocking your hand from bottom to top, constantly scrolling the bowl to gradually grab the whole dough. Or, the fastest way is in a dough mixer using a hook attachment. The result is a very soft, sticky dough: I would call it alive.
- We grease the proofing bowl with vegetable oil, put the dough into it, round it, cover with cling film and leave it in a warm place for about 1.5-2 hours (maybe earlier, depending on the activity of your yeast and the quality of the flour, and the temperature regime ) The dough for pies should increase by 2-2.5 times.
- We lubricate the working table with vegetable oil and gently turn the dough on it, trying to keep its airiness to the maximum.
- Lubricate the hands with vegetable oil and separate small pieces of dough of the same size (I take approximately the size of a chicken egg).
- We stretch each piece of dough into a flat cake with your hands, adjust the thickness and size yourself, depending on which pies you like: so that they have a thin dough and a lot of filling, or vice versa. I pull about a thickness of 0.5 centimeters.
- We spread the filling on each cake: for this, hands are also lightly greased with vegetable oil, form a small cutlet from the potato filling and put it on the cake. We level the filling on the cake so that the edges of the dough remain free: about 1 centimeter to the edge.
- Lubricate clean hands with vegetable oil and pinch the edges of the dough (like a dumpling), after the pie we turn it upside down and make it as flat as possible: so that it is better fried.
- Pour a lot of vegetable oil, 1.5-2 centimeters thick, into the pan (it is necessary that the oil reaches the middle of the pie), heat over medium heat. To check the desired temperature for roasting, throw a little dough: if it starts to boil immediately, then the temperature is what you need.
- Fry the pies until golden brown on both sides.
- We lay out the ready-made fried pies first on a paper towel to remove excess fat, and then transfer to a dish.
Fried pies with potatoes and onions turned out to be just a bomb: soft dough with a delicious crispy crust, like after deep fat, and very tasty potato filling, like with mushrooms, you won’t understand right away. These pies fly faster than they cook! In general, if desired, you can add mushrooms, a boiled liver, minced in a meat grinder, any greens to the filling, and that's all you like. Join us on “Very Delicious” - and cook simple, fast, tasty and inexpensive dishes that will appeal to everyone! Enjoy your meal!