A wonderful appetizer: spicy eggplant rolls - my mother often cooks in the summer and autumn. At home, I call this appetizer “mother-in-law's tongue”: it is very tasty, spicy with many juicy summer vegetables and herbs. Walnuts give a pleasant structure to the appetizer, garlic-mayonnaise sauce gives a light piquancy: not an appetizer, but an overeating.
- tomatoes - 2-3 pieces;
- eggplant - 2 pieces;
- garlic - 1-2 cloves;
- salt to taste;
- bell peppers - 0.5 pieces;
- mayonnaise - 100 grams;
- walnuts - 100 grams;
- greens - 50 grams.
Spicy eggplant rolls. Step by step recipe
- The washed eggplant is cut into length: slices up to 5 millimeters thick.
- If the eggplants are bitter, they should be well salted and filled with water for 10-15 minutes to get bitterness, then blot with a towel from excess moisture.
- In a frying pan with well-heated butter, fry our slices of “blue” on both sides.
- Tip. You can cook eggplant for spicy rolls in the oven, or on an electric grill, after having greased the surface of each plate with vegetable oil.
- We peel the garlic from the husk and squeeze it through the press: you need to mix the crushed garlic with mayonnaise.
- Tip. The sauce can be seasoned with black pepper and any aromatic herbs: for example, basil or oregano. But salt is not worth it, because the mayonnaise is already salty.
- Walnuts need to be slightly dried in the oven and cut into small pieces with a knife: they should be felt in the stuffing for eggplant rolls.
- My parsley is washed in running water, dried and finely chopped.
- Wash sweet bell peppers, clear of seeds and stalks, and cut first into four parts lengthwise, then into small slices across.
- My tomatoes, cut the stalk and cut into circles.
- Now we are forming our appetizer “Mother-in-law's tongue” from “little blue ones”. Smear the fried eggplant slices with garlic mayonnaise sauce, sprinkle with nuts and greens on top.
- We spread tomato circles and slices of sweet pepper on top of the greens.
- Twist the eggplant into rolls. We put it on a dish - and you can immediately serve it on the table.
- From the same set of summer vegetables I propose to cook another interesting dish called “Peacock Tail”. For it, you need to wash the eggplants, but do not cut the ponytails, but cut the “little blue ones” into plates, as in the previous recipe, but do not cut through the tail to the end to make a “little book”.
- We dip the eggplant in salt water to get rid of the bitterness that may be found in overripe vegetables.
- We lay out the soaked eggplants in the form of a fan and press down a little with oppression so that the shape remains and excess water flows out.
- After 5-10 minutes, we coat our eggplant “fan” with mayonnaise.
- Tip. Mayonnaise can not be spared, because the eggplant has a spongy structure - they absorb the sauce.
- We lay out the “Peacock tail” on a baking sheet greased with vegetable oil.
- Finely chop a couple of cloves of garlic and sprinkle with them the oiled slices.
- Choose tomatoes of small sizes, rinse and cut into circles.
- Sweet bell pepper, peel the seeds and cut into rings.
- Tip. For variety and colorfulness, it is better to choose pepper yellow or green.
- Rings of pepper and tomato slices should be beautifully laid out on eggplant.
- Salt the dish a little, season with black ground pepper.
- We send our appetizer from eggplant to an oven preheated to 180 degrees and bake for about 20 minutes.
- Ready snacks can be decorated with olives and green leaves. Serving such a dish is better in the form of heat - it is very juicy and mouth-watering.
This dish looks very beautiful, plays a lot of colors and tastes. A great option for a festive table. And what dishes can still be prepared from juicy vegetables, find out on our site “I love to cook”.