The best way to preserve all the vitamins in cabbage is to cook a delicious and crispy sauerkraut. I bring to your attention a classic recipe that does not require special expenses and efforts. According to this recipe, our grandmothers and great-grandmothers made sauerkraut without vinegar. Homemade sauerkraut turns out to be unusually tasty, fragrant and crispy. From it it will be possible to prepare many dishes or simply serve it on the table, seasoned with onions and vegetable oil. Yes, to the potatoes - just a jumble.
- 2 kilograms of late cabbage;
- 1 carrot;
- 2 bay leaves;
- pepper mixture to taste;
- 2 teaspoons of sugar;
- salt to taste.
Very tasty sauerkraut. Step by step recipe
- We shred cabbage very thinly (you can use a knife, or you can use a special shredder for cabbage). We leave it on the board, and we will add the remaining products to it. Or we shift all the ingredients into a deep bowl.
Tip. For pickling, choose juicy and crisp cabbage of late varieties. Early varieties of cabbage are not suitable for salting: it will turn out soft and tasteless.
- Salt shredded cabbage (I use a little salt, as for a salad), grind with our hands until the juice is empty.
Tip. According to the standards of salting per kilogram of shredded cabbage, there is one tablespoon of salt.
- Rub the carrots on a coarse grater. Mix with cabbage.
- Add the same broken leaves of parsley and a mixture of peppers (or black pepper peas). Mix well again.
- We shift the cabbage into a jar, put in a deep plate (excess juice will drain). Leave in a warm place on the table for 36 hours.
- After this time, close the jars with plastic lids and put them in a cold place for 3 days.
- We serve sauerkraut, sprinkled with lettuce purple onions, sliced in half rings and seasoned with vegetable oil (it is better to use unrefined, aromatic).
I suggest you put out this crispy sauerkraut with beans - an unusual dish, so delicious that it will not leave anyone indifferent. At the same time, it is budgetary and quite easy to prepare.
- Boil 3 pork legs (or two shanks) for 2-3 hours with onion (husk), allspice and bay leaf. Add salt and spices to taste.
- Tip. If you use pork legs, it is better to soak them overnight in cold water, and then clean and rinse well.
- Let the meat cool in the broth, then remove the meat from the bones and chop finely. We remove the broth in the refrigerator, removing excess fat from the surface.
- Soak 400 grams of large white beans overnight in water, then boil, adding the skin from smoked bacon. Salt the beans 15 minutes before the end of cooking.
- Fry a 100 gram slice of smoked bacon in a saucepan (or a pan with a thick bottom) under a lid, over low heat. We make sure that they do not burn.
- We take out the greaves, send the onion (4 pieces), chopped into small cubes, and fry it until it is translucent.
- Add 2 tablespoons of smoked paprika.
- We send 800 grams of sauerkraut to the stewpan (after squeezing the juice and seasoning it with caraway seeds to taste). Fry it over medium heat, stirring constantly, so as not to burn.
- Add a glass of broth (in which the legs were cooked) and simmer for 30 minutes over low heat.
- In a frying pan, fry 2 tablespoons of tomato paste (until it darkens) and pour 1 tablespoon of sugar into it (by the way, sugar is a wonderful natural flavor enhancer, it is advisable to add it to all sauerkraut dishes). Add a little broth, mix and transfer to a stewpan with cabbage.
- Peel 3-4 large tubers of potatoes, cut into cubes and send to the stewpan. If necessary, add broth and simmer until cabbage is ready.
- We put meat from pork legs, beans, a small head of chopped garlic. Check for salt, add spices to your taste. Continue to simmer another 10-15 minutes. Turn off the fire and be sure to let it brew.
Sauerkraut is used to prepare many dishes. This and salads, vinaigrettes, cabbage soup, bigos, even draniki. You can put out the cabbage - and make dumplings, pies out of it. Your imagination will be where to roam. The site “I like to cook” is happy to help you: with us you can always see recipes for sauerkraut dishes.